I regret little, but in looking back I am disappointed at my not participating in a reflection project for 2011. That year was so excruciating and painful and joyful and liberating and full that it is very much a blur of change. I should have recorded some part of it - though a peek into my December Daily 2011 will certainly give an indication to why the project did not get completed!

I enjoyed participating in reverb10 which resulted in a beautiful blog, a wonderful keepsake album and a collection of incredible memories - fully recorded. For 2010, I will always remember where I was and where I was planning on going. I want to go through that same exercise again for 2012. This past year was equally worth remembering.

Not that I have an abundance of time this year, but I do have a great desire, so that will have to do! I have curated a number of prompts from many resources. Those I've selected can be found below as well as a few of my own, they have each been attributed as best I can.

29 December 2012

day twenty three | alone

prompt: alone

Have you had any alone time this year? Do you seek it? Does it make you comfortable or uncomfortable to be left alone with your thoughts? Where is the best place for you to be comfortably by yourself? (Author: Me) 

+ + + + + 

Alone is a wonderful place to be.

I have been very fortunate to have had plenty of alone time this year, though selfishly I am always on the lookout for more. I live a full and active life with all four kids often going in four different directions at one time. It has been this way since my eldest arrived and I wouldn't change it for anything.

I make the most of my time alone. It is my time to recharge between activities.

During the day, once the children are delivered to school and household chores are completed, my time is my own. Sometimes it includes having a friend over for tea or heading out to lunch with girlfriends or the occasional phone call with family; but, more often it is spent writing, organizing photos, reading or following other creative pursuits. I savour this time and enjoy it. I am innately curious and all of this unstructured time with access to Google (and many other sites) is wonderful!

I'm usually in one parking lot or another from after-school pick-up at 4PM to the last activity of the day - that can end as late as 9PM. Every day. I have a collection of books, magazines, journals and pens in the truck to keep me company. And if that's not enough, I do most of my blog reading on my iPhone. A recent addition to the collection of activities in the truck is a neck roll, in case I get too tired to read or write, I can simply doze and have my thoughts percolate.

It's not that I'm not social, it's just that I am happy for my own company. I don't like crowds, I don't like noise, I don't like drama. Alone is the perfect antidote.

A favourite place? My living room. I put on the alternative rock station and settle in on a comfortable couch or chair surrounded by piles of magazines and books on the shelves. My plan for 2013 is to have more active alone time. I'm going to walk and swim at the YMCA and I'm hoping to make a few trips into Toronto to go to the markets, galleries and museums.

Who knows, this time next year, my favourite alone place might be the GO train, the swimming pool or someplace yet to be discovered?

No comments:

Post a Comment